This Sydney mindfulness course is hosted by Australia Counselling member Sue England, Sydney counsellor and psychotherapist.
Unlock the Key to Sailing Effortlessly Through Modern Life
Join Sue England and Veronik Verkest as they invite you over 8 weeks to explore mindfulness – a holistic mind/body practice that allows you to reconnect with your inner resources, reduce stress and restore balance.
Mindfulness Based Stressed Reduction is an 8-week course, originally developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, designed to help participants discover and utilize their own inner resources for bringing balance, health, and peace of mind to their lives.
Through group and individual practices, discussions, and presentations, participants learn ways to cultivate mindfulness so that they can meet the challenges of life (including stress, pain and illness) with greater ease.
MBSR is an experiential learning program, intended to engage the mind and the body. The course is most often structured as a series of 8 weekly classes with an additional, longer, all-day session during the sixth week of the program (a total of nine sessions).
Each week, ideally on a daily basis, participants practice at home what they have been exploring in class. This home practice is an essential part of the course. It develops and strengthens one’s ability to experience mindful awareness in daily life and to access the strength and wisdom that lie within.
Mindfulness practices can assist with:
- Difficult emotions
- Health issues, eg. insomnia, headaches, chronic pain
This participatory, practical, skills-based course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation
- Introduction to a number of mindfulness practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Group discussion aimed at developing the practices in everyday life
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio, handouts and workbooks to support home practice.
- Increased ability to relax
- Decrease in pain and increase in ability to cope with chronic pain
- Reduction in symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Improved overall health
- More energy and enthusiasm
- More self confidence
- Resilience in the face of health and life challenges
- Greater sense of compassion for self and others
Benefiting from the MBSR course requires an investment of time and energy — attending weekly class sessions and practicing at home — in addition to the fee for the course. The decision to enrol is best made with full information. Contact Sue England or Veronik Verkest for more information.
Contact Phone Numer: Sue England 0458 402 940 Veronik Verkest 0412 210 339
Location: Drummoyne Community Centre
Start date: April 30, 2012, running for 8 consecutive weeks and a day of mindfulness on the 3rd of June.
Time: 6:30pm – 9pm